In order to support the community’s African American and Latina women, CAPCO has established Project CHANGE (Comprehensive HIV/AIDS Negotiating: Growth and Empowerment) under the N.J. Department of Health’s Division of HIV/AIDS, STD, and TB Services. Project CHANGE is an intervention program for persons whose behavior places them at risk for transmitting or for contracting HIV, sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), hepatitis, and tuberculosis (TB). The program comprises the following prevention strategies:
- The Street and Community Outreach (SCO) program provides street outreach and community education presentations to high-risk areas.
- The Health Education / Risk Reduction (HE/RR) program is a continual series of five workshops that engage participants in informal, interactive, and educational group discussion. The program offers a stress-reducing environment for individuals to share their experience and to learn from the experience of others.
- Comprehensive Risk Counseling Services(CRCS) offers one-on-one attention to help individuals manage complex life issues, which may include:
- responsible decision-making that reduces the risk of transmission,
- developing responsible sex practices and refusal skills,
- using sensuality products responsibly,
- building and maintaining healthy relationships,
- navigating through stigma, and
- struggling with disclosure to family, friends, sex partners, or needle-sharing partners.
Project CHANGE currently delivers its variety of services
- on the streets,
- in housing developments,
- through community-based organizations, and
- through hospitals, clinics, and other health care providers.
As with all other programs under CAPCO’s case management services, Project CHANGE programs offer non-judgmental and client-centered attention. Our Prevention Team Leader Stephanie A. Gomez would like to emphasize:
We understand that change is a process, not an event!
Schedule an appointment with the CAPCO office in order to assess your present situation: one of our case managers can help determine if Project CHANGE offers the support you need.